The ingredient list is fairly simple:
- 2 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca starch
- 2/3 cup homemade baking powder (store-bought contains cornstarch)
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Store in an airtight container with a label with the following measurement instructions:
- 1 large egg = 1/2 rounded tablespoon egg replacer and 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg yolk = 1/2 rounded tablespoon egg replacer and 1 tablespoon water
- I store my egg replacer in a Mason jar with a screw-on plastic lid with the instructions written on a piece of masking tape on the side.
- If you don't have a half tablespoon measuring spoon, use a rounded 1.5 teaspoons.
- This recipe works best for recipes that are not egg-heavy. This would not work for a quiche, meringue or something along those lines!
- Make sure to put items into the oven right away when using this egg replacer. The recipe looses its oomph if you wait too long.
- I've also found that having a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in the recipe helps it to rise more with this egg substitute.
- This recipe replaces 45-50 eggs